Monday, January 25, 2010

Learning a little each day.

Lessons. Part 1.

Being sick over the last decade has taught me a lot. Some of the things are silly and others are practical, while some lessons are life changing. If there is one thing that I can say about being sick it is that God has used each day to teach me something about myself, Him or the world around me.

Lesson 1
Lemons and Lemonade

“When life gives you lemons, make lemonade... and if you aren’t able to make the lemonade yourself, God does an awesome job!"



God makes the best lemonade! ha! And He can make it with some pretty rotten lemons, let me tell ya! There are so many stories (some that I hope to share) where God has brought wonderful people into my life or he has allowed me to experience once in lifetime moments. My family has grown so close. I have met the most beautiful souls over the years, who have been living examples of how to live with an illness and still have grace and dignity. I have been blessed by wonderful health care workers, including my counselor, Kelly. Who, has I have said before, was a huge influence on my career choice. God has such big plans for me and He can make them all work with my rotten lemons...Dysautonomia.
{photo from here}

Lesson 2
Being in a wheelchair can have its "perks" at times! ha!

Yes, you read that right. Aside from the obvious of being able to park right next to the door, with the wheelchair, I can wear any kind of shoe that I want! Three-inch heels; who cares?! A beautiful pair rubs my ankles; no big deal! Sitting-and not walking-allows me to indulge in my favorite accessories-shoes! Also, not walking allows me to keep my feet in great shape! When I go get a pedicure, the ladies are always speaking in their native language and they all come over and look at my feet. They pick them up and rub them, point to them, etc. So, finally one day, I asked, "What are you saying about me?" She said, "Oh, beautiful feet! So clean! How you keep so clean?!" Mom and I just laughed. See? I told you some lessons were silly!
"How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news..."-Isaiah 52:7

Lesson 3
Hold on to happy memories. Make lots of happy memories!
I think this has been one of my greatest realizations-make and keep dear all the happy memories that you can. I have talked about how important I think this is to do previously. Keep them stored in a safe place deep in your heart and you use them on a really rainy day. The happy moments that you hold dear don’t have to be grand; they can be anything that even for a split second made you smile and made your heart flood with joy. When I am especially down and feeling bad, I unlock that door of happy memories and allow them to fill me. In an instant, I am "self-medicated" with smells and sensations from a wonderful moment that may have only lasted seconds but years later is helping me heal.

more to come but lets end this post right! ha!
Copy of holly 033

love always. Heather & Holly

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...