Monday, November 16, 2009

-Temporary-

"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal."
2 Corinthians 4:16-18

I enjoy this verse. I know I say that about most all of the verses I share, though. This one is the first one in my journal with verses. It reminds me to be patient (which I am not very good at) and to trust God (which I don't always do) However, I love this verse because it sums up God's promise to us once we accept salvation. It is a reminder of that big, GOLD medal at the end of the race, even if during that race I face hardship and heartbreak...these things are just seconds really, when compared to the world and glory God has prepared for me that will last forever and ever and ever.
But a particular part of this verse also resonates with me on another level. "So we fix our eyes no on what is seen but what is unseen". When people see me out, they see a happy, smiling girl with make-up on and my hair fixed. What is unseen is that my mother had to wash and dry my hair. My sister rolled my hair and put on my make-up. I meet for dinner and everyone sees me laughing and shaking my head as they tell me about their lives. What they don't see is my shame and embarrassment. I feel like an outsider. They don't see me trying to grasp for any part of their conversation to join. I feel like I am immature and I can't relate. When I say goodbye to my friends after leaving a small party or dinner, they don't see me sneak a pill for a headache or for nausea because I have been sitting up too long. They don't see my tears in the car as I leave because at 26, I still just want to be like "everyone else." People see my cute clothes that I have on while I am out but what is unseen is my Dad waiting on me when I get home. He meets me at the car and gets my purse. He has my pajamas laying on my bed. My Mom helps me undress and my Dad gathers up my clothes and puts them away.

People don't believe that I am sick because they see me happy and laughing, dressed, hair and make-up done. What is unseen is the effort to get me that way and the price that is paid for enjoying those few hours out of bed....but then I remember that...

"Though outwardly I am wasting away, yet inwardly I am being renewed inwardly day by day. For what is seen is temporary but what is unseen is eternal!"
So, this post is meant to say two things. One is that if you are suffering a hardship or heartache of any kind, remember that pain is only temporary! The gift of the Cross is that one day we will be taken to Heaven and there will be no pain or grief. Secondly, remember as Kelly said, looks can be deceiving. We don't always know a person's whole story and we mustn't jump to conclusions! (I'm speaking to myself here, too!)






My sister, Haley, Me & our hostess, Darrah.

Haley, Beth, Me & Darrah


PS: Speaking of friends, here are some photos from an evening with GREAT friends on Friday.







7 comments:

Rachel @ daily dunmore said...

You have team of stylists that do a great job! Although I don't understand the physical pain you go through, I do understand the feeling of being an outsider and by looking at me, you don't know what Im dealing with. I hope what we are both dealing with is temporary. Love you girl!

Kelly said...

You have such great messages! Your family is just amazing. I hope you have a great week <3

_ffyona said...

How i love that sunshine smile of yours. Keep smiling, and keep the faith Heather. xo

alli/hooray said...

Great words of advice, Heather. AND it sounds like you have an amazing support system from your parents. :)

Saralee said...

Great post Heather! It really spoke to my heart! I really needed this today! Thank you for letting God speak through YOU! Hugs!♥

Unknown said...

Hi Heather,

Saralee recommended I check out your blog. I'm so sorry to hear about your illness! I'm 30 and have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome for 10 years. Dysautonomia has been one of my diagnoses along the way. Fortunately, I don't have any fainting, but I do have orthostatic intolerance and temperature regulation problems. Anyway, just wanted to say hi!

Katrina ;)

Yasmin said...

You are a wonderful picture of God's sufficient grace :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...