Sunday, March 21, 2010

Birthdays and the Passage of Time

I am sure you are tired of me talking about it but my birthday is tomorrow and (big gulp) I will be 27. I am most certainly aware of the time that has passed-birthdays have a way of doing that to us. I feel silly that I get upset as each birthday approaches but it never fails, despite my excitement there is an overwhelming sadness that I have to fight back. Your birthday is concrete and unflinching, unforgiving you might say. It is a date that comes each year, the same time and same place and that day remind of what we have-or have not-accomplished in the past year. A birthday marks one year that has flown away into the sunset. I can never get this past year back, let alone the last 10 years. I can never go back and I can never capture those lost moments and lost opportunities. ; Those feelings of 'less' creep into my mind and heart as my birthday approaches. 27? Really? What is there to show for it? How can I just loose a decade of my life so fast and so cruelly?

But as I said, I do fight for the excitement and celebration of my life. (And despite the bad days, I have a wonderful life!) I am reminded each birthday that there is a new beginning and new possiblities for the upcoming year. I am reminded every day of the love and blessings that I have been given. My birthday this year will be a day to spend with the people I love the most and see that love in action.

I guess this year I might not celebrate what I did do last year but I can celebrate and hope for what I can do this year.

So, here is to the upcoming weekend's celebration with cupcakes and Lorina Lemonade! :)



photo from here

9 comments:

Kelly said...

Happy Birthday <3 I hope you have a great day and can focus on the positive : )

Rebecca said...

Happy birthday, I hope that you have a lovely day! Try to think of the positive & don't look back, always look forwards. We can't get back or change the past but we always have the future in front of us :)

Rachel @ daily dunmore said...

I know what you mean...I will be 29. You are on this earth for so many reasons and we are glad you are here! I love you and hope you have a VERY special day!

Unknown said...

Hello honey
I understand your emotions here. It is a strange day. But it's also a blessing isn't it to still be here and celebrating with family.And a great time to have Lorina lemonade I love that too esp the pink one!
I made a polyvore set for you today as I was touched that you did one for me on my birthday and wanted to do one in return...
love kat x

Yasmin said...

Happy Birthday! :-)

The Atwoods said...

Happy Birthday Heather! I hope it's a beautiful one.

quietspirit said...

God isn't finished with you. That's why you are celebrating another birthday.

alli/hooray said...

happy birthday, heather! I love your honesty in this post and hope you enjoyed your day. Cupcakes + lemonade is a good way to start!

_ffyona said...

Happy happy one, my dear friend. You're loved and you know that. ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...